Skip to main navigation.


Lower Yellowstone Rural Electric Cooperative (LYREC) is a rural electric cooperative headquartered in Sidney, Montana.  Our service area includes all or part of 5 counties including Dawson, Richland, and Roosevelt (in Montana) and McKenzie and Williams (in North Dakota.)

Lower Yellowstone Electric was one of the first cooperatives estabilished in Montana. LYREC is a distribution cooperative that receives approximately 86% of their power from Basin Electric Cooperative and the other 14% comes from Western Area Power Administration.  LYREC currently serves approximately 2,400 members and has more than 6,100 meters.  

The Cooperative is governed by a seven member Board of Directors who are elected by the membership they serve.  Lower Yellowstone Electric currently employs  28 full-time employees.  

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo